Almond Encrusted French Toast
Ingredients (For 5-7 servings):
1 loaf French bread – the bread’s diameter should be no larger than 3-4 inches
½ Cup Cream or ½ & ½
1 Tsp Almond Extract
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
¼ Cup Sliced Almonds
4 Tbsp Unsalted ½ stick of butter
Let the French bread sit out uncovered, overnight to allow it to dry out a little.
The next morning, slice the loaf, each slice about 1 inch thick. You should be able to get 14 slices.
Add the Eggs, Cream, Vanilla and Almond extract together and whip until well blended. Set aside.
- Pour about 1 inch of egg mixture into a pie dish or small pan (4×4 inch), deep as the slice of bread.
- Put in 3 – 4 slices of bread into the egg mix. After 30 seconds flip them over, dunk them into the egg mix so they are absorbing the mixture for about 30 seconds. Don’t let the bread get to so soggy that it falls apart when lifting it out of the mixture.
- Warm up the skillet so that it is medium hot. Put a thick slice of butter on the skillet and spread it over the bottom while it is melting. Don’t have the skillet so hot that the butter browns.
- Sprinkle the sliced almonds (6 to 10 pieces) in 3 or 4 piles on the skillet after the butter has melted.
- Float the soaked bread on to each pile gently. This process has the almonds adhere to the bread. Cook for about 1 minute or until brown then flip the toast over. Press down on the toast so that all parts are touching the skillet. Cook for about 1 minute. (I find once the skillet is hot and you’ve sautéed a group of bread, you should turn down the heat a little otherwise it cooks too fast.)
- Place the finished toast –almonds up- on to a sheet pan in the warmed-up oven.
- Wipe the skillet with a paper towel to remove any excess butter or almond.
- REPEAT: Start the process again with the butter, almonds and French bread.
Preheat the oven to 250 degrees. Place the sautéed French toast on the sheet pan. The French Toast should be in the oven for around 30 minutes. This allows them to stay warm and cook a little without becoming hard.
Place two slices on a plate, one leaning against the other to give them a little height. Sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar. Add to the plate bacon or sausage. An option is to add fruit like strawberries or melon like cantaloupe to give more color to the plate. Serve with butter and syrup on the table.