Itineraries for Day Trips In Northern New Mexico
Select from many activities and adventures while in Taos. These places are less than 2 hours from Taos.
- Vietnam Veterans’ Memorial – Near Angel Fire, 20 miles from Taos on Highway 64 East
- Bandelier National Monument – The ruins of an Indian village, 35 miles from Taos
- Abiquiu – Georgia O’Keefe’s home and the area-cliffs that inspired her paintings. The trip is a 1 hour drive southwest of Taos.
- El Sanctuario e Chimayo – A gorgeous place with a church that has pilgrimages during Holy Week. The trip is a 50 minute drive from Taos.
- Chama train ride – the coal burning train travels between Chama and Antonito, an all day trip that transports you to another era. 2 hour drive to Chama.
- Taos Mountain Casino – The Taos Pueblo Casino is on the reservation, just 2 miles east of Taos. It is small, but friendly with a great restaurant.
- Enchanted Circle drive – This is an 85-mile tour into the mountains, visiting several cities including Red River , Eagle’s Nest and Angel Fire. On the drive, near Angel Fire is the Vietnam Memorial, managed by volunteers.
- Arroyo Seco, “The Jewel of Taos County” – 12 miles north of Taos with Retail stores and Food. Don’t miss the famous ice cream at the Taos Cow.